Full of tender chunks of chicken, hearty beans and quinoa, flavorful tomatoes, sweet corn and classic taco seasonings, Creamy Chicken Taco Soup is delicious. Hearty and filling it will easily become a family favorite and leave everyone licking their bowls.
Filled with all your favorite Tex-Mex flavors this dish could easily take the place of your next taco night. Plus, we love that this creamy taco soup can be made on the stove top in 30 minutes or less, or prepared in a crockpot ahead of time.
And if you just absolutely love soups like I do, you've got to give some of our other soups like Creamy Tomato with Basil, hearty Chicken Noodle or cheesy Broccoli and Cheddar soups a try. Or if it's tex-mex flavors you seek we've got you covered with our Mexican Street Corn salad, Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas or restaurant style Pico De Gallo.
Perfect for busy weeknights this Creamy Chicken Taco Soup is quick and so simple to make. Made with mostly canned items and pantry staples all you need is 30 minutes to get this meal on the table.
- Chicken Broth
- Better Than Boullion Chicken Base
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Green Enchilada Sauce
- Cooked Chicken
- Green Chilies
- Petite Diced Tomatoes
- Taco Seasoning
- Chili Powder
🍳 Step-by-Step Instructions
First, in a large pot sauté your onions until they have become translucent. Then add chicken broth, better than boullion, cream of chicken soup and enchilada sauce to sautéed onions and stir together.
Next you will want to add your chicken, corn, beans, green chiles, tomatoes and quinoa to the pot. Then give the soup another good stir. Lastly add all the seasonings to the soup pot. Once the cumin, taco seasoning, chili powder, pepper and salt, are all added, mix the soup together.
Place lid on pot and allow to cook over medium heat until bubbling and quinoa is cooked though. This usually means letting it cook and simmer for between 25 and 35 minutes.
Finally when your soup is all done you can serve it up in big bowls topped with shredded cheese and sour cream or any of your other favorite taco toppings. Then to really round out the meal serve your Creamy Chicken Taco Soup with thick slices of Sweet Cornbread and enjoy!
👩🏻🍳 Make it Your Own
This soup is so awesome because it is really forgiving and versatile. All things considered, it just means it is easy to switch things up and just use whatever ingredients you have on hand.
- Enchilada Sauce - Red enchilada sauce can be substituted if preferred.
- Chicken - Canned chicken, shredded chicken or rotisserie chicken are all great. Canned and rotisserie chicken are a great convenience option for getting dinner on the table quickly any night of the week.
- Beans - Additionally any kind of bean you prefer works. Black, pinto, white, garbanzo or kidney beans all do well. I prefer to use a can of black beans and a can of pinto beans when I make it.
- Meat - You can also swap the chicken out for ground beef or turkey if you prefer.
- Quinoa - If you are nervous about giving quinoa a try you can leave it out all together. But I will say that it serves as a great alternative to pasta or rice when it comes to soup. Plus, it gives a lot of extra protein and fiber to a dish! If you've never tried it before - be brave! Give it a try, I bet you will hardly even notice it's there.
- Less Creamy - For a brothier or less creamy soup you can omit the cream of chicken soup.
- Vegetarian - If you are looking for a vegetarian friendly soup, then try substituting your broth and boullion for a vegetable base, switch your creamed soup for cream of onion or celery soup and leave out the chicken and double the quinoa.
- More Spicy - Try swapping the can of diced tomatoes for a can of Rotel for a little extra kick.
👪 How to Serve
This soup makes for a really fun "Make it Your Own" kind of dish. Set out some of your favorite taco toppings like diced avocado, chopped onion, fresh cilantro, lime wedges, jalapeños, homemade pico de gallo, shredded cheese, sour cream, crunchy tortilla strips or corn chips and let everyone choose their own toppings.
💭 Top Tips
Creamy Chicken Taco Soup can be prepared on the stovetop in as little as 30 minutes or in a slow cooker or crockpot. Making it the perfect dinner option for those really busy days when you need a hot meal, ready to serve at a moments notice.
To make Creamy Chicken Taco Soup in the crockpot all you need to do is add all the ingredients to your slow cooker. Mix everything together and turn your cooker on low. Then allow your soup to cook for 4 to 6 hours. Stir before serving and top with your favorite taco toppings to enjoy.
Leftover soups and chilis are some of my favorite! This Creamy Chicken Taco Soup can be enjoyed later if stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days. If you have a lot of leftovers you can also freeze your soup.
When freezing soup just be sure to let it cool completely before placing in a freezer friendly container. If stored properly, it will keep in the freezer for 3 months.
Then when ready to enjoy again pull soup from the freezer and allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight! Just reheat your soup over the stove or covered in the microwave till hot and enjoy.
And if you find yourself freezing soups or chilis often you have to invest in these awesome souper cube trays. These clever silicone trays let you store your soups in one cup portions. Making it so much easier for pulling out individual portions and serving for quick lunches or dinners.
Does soup freeze well?
While not all creamy soups freeze well, this Creamy Chicken Taco Soup freezes beautifully! In fact I love making extra and purposefully saving part of the batch in individual portions for quick lunches later. These souper cube trays make freezing soups or chilis in individual portions so convenient! For more information on freezing soups read how above.
What do you eat with Taco Soup?
While taco soup can be served with just about anything you'd serve up on a taco night, we especially love serving ours with a side of fresh Sweet Cornbread. Tortilla chips, rice or homemade tortillas are also delicious options. And you can't forget the toppings!
This creamy chicken taco soup is a fun dish to serve up with any of your favorite taco bar toppings. Diced avocado, chopped onion, fresh cilantro, lime wedges, jalapeños, homemade pico de gallo, shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream or crunchy tortilla strips and corn chips are some of our favorites.
Full of tender chicken, hearty beans, quinoa, tomatoes, sweet corn and classic taco seasonings this soup is delicious.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 64 ounces chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons better than boullion chicken stock
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 10 ounces green enchilada sauce
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken
- 15 ounces of corn, canned or frozen
- 30 ounces of canned beans, drained
- 4 ounces green chiles, drained
- 14.5 ounces petite diced tomatoes
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In large pot sauté onions until translucent.
- Add chicken broth, better than boullion, cream of chicken soup and enchilada sauce to sautéed onions and stir together.
- Add chicken, corn, beans, green chiles, tomatoes and quinoa. Give the soup another stir.
- Add all seasonings to the soup pot, cumin, taco seasoning, chili powder, pepper and salt, and mix soup together.
- Place lid on pot and allow to cook over medium heat until bubbling and quinoa is cooked though. Usually cooks between 25 and 35 minutes.
- Top with shredded cheese, sour cream or any of your other favorite taco toppings and enjoy!
- You can use any kind of bean you prefer. Black, pinto, white, garbanzo or kidney beans all work well. I prefer to use a can of black beans and a can of pinto beans when I make it.
- Red enchilada sauce can be substituted if preferred
- Canned chicken, shredded chicken or rotisserie chicken are all great.
- For a brothier or less creamy soup omit the cream of chicken soup.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 500Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 2361mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 9gSugar: 16gProtein: 36g