A Watermelon Chia Smoothie is a simple, light and sweet treat. Made in just two minutes with a few easy ingredients, anyone can enjoy this recipe. This drink brings all the summer vibes!
Made with watermelon, strawberries, banana and lime this yummy drink is both hydrating and refreshing. This Watermelon Chia Smoothie is my go-to summer drink!
Another favorite summer time recipe you have to try is this light and fresh Key Lime Pie! If looking for other recipes to give you the summer time feels, check out our Zucchini and Pesto Lasagna, copycat Orange Julius Smoothies or the BEST Corn on the Cob!
- Frozen Strawberry
- Chia Seed - Smoothies are a great way to hide foods your picky eaters may not normally try. Chia Seeds are one of those great ingredients that can be added to smoothies. They provide lots of extra fiber, protein and antioxidants.
- Honey - For extra added benefits, try using local raw honey. Eating unfiltered, unheated, raw honey produced within a 50-mile radius of your home is like getting a natural anti-allergy shot - helping boost the immune system and immunity to allergens.
- Lime Juice - Any time you can, use fresh lime juice. The flavor of fresh lime is much brighter and intense than any thing you can get in a bottle.
- True Lime Powder - Definitely a key ingredient, it gives such a punchy lime flavor and really brightens up the flavor profile. This isn't the first time we have sung it's praises and we will do it again and again! True Lime Powder is such a great ingredient to have on hand for ALL the summer time recipes.
- Milk (optional)
🥣 Step by Step Instructions
It doesn't get more simple than this. To make your Watermelon Chia Smoothie put all the ingredients in the blender. Then blend everything on high until it is smooth. Afterwards serve immediately and enjoy!
💬 Top Tips
Picking a Watermelon
When using watermelon in this Watermelon Chia Smoothie or any kind of recipe it is so important to choose a good, sweet ripe watermelon. As long as you know what to look for, picking the right watermelon can be easy.
- Weight or Shape
- Yellow Spot
- Color and Shine
For more details on what these steps mean check out this awesome article that explains this chart more.
Thicker or Thinner Consistency
Another thing I love about smoothies is you decide how thin or thick you want your drink to be. I usually like mine thicker, but it really is whatever you like best. Using frozen fruit or turning liquids, like milk or juice in the recipe, into ice cubes is the best way to get a thicker drink.
For a Watermelon Chia Smoothie you want to make sure to use frozen strawberries. You can freeze watermelon if you'd like, but it isn't necessary. The amount of ice you add will also make a difference. Because I like my smoothies thick, I add a little extra ice.
👩🏻🍳 Make it Your Own
What is fun about smoothie recipes is that they are good bases. They are easy to make your own. These are our favorite ways to change up this drink.
Milk: Firstly, milk is NOT necessary in in your Watermelon Chia Smoothie. The original recipe actually doesn't call for it. But I love a good creamy drink and think it truly pushes this watermelon chia smoothie over the top. For the creamiest and best tasting drink, don't skimp with skim milk. Use whole or 2% milk.
Banana: While banana does add a certain amount of sweet to this drink, it is one of those flavors you can play with. Substitute banana for just about any other fruit your heart desires. We are talking so many fruit combos here!
- 2 cups watermelon
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1-2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 lime (juiced) - about 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon true lime powder
- 1 cup ice
- ½ cup milk (optional)
- 1 banana
- Add all ingredients to blender.
- Blend on high until desired smoothie consistency.
- Pour into glass for serving and enjoy!
- Substitute your strawberries and banana with other fruits and veggies for endless watermelon fruit combos!
- Feel free to substitute fresh lime juice for bottled lime juice if needed. Can also substitute True Lime Powder for lime juice if desired.
- If looking for a creamier smoothie we suggest using 2% or whole milk for optimal flavor. But you can use almond or soy milk instead or skip the milk all together!
- Add less ice for a thinner consistency. For a thicker smoothie consistency freeze your watermelon beforehand.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 148Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 21mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 6gSugar: 19gProtein: 3g