Easy One Pot Beef Stroganoff recipe is the stuff of dreams! Creamy and oh so savory it is filled with tender pasta, chunks of flavorful meat covered in a tangy cream sauce.
When Dallin dreams of comfort food, it isn't sugar plum fairies dancing in his head ... it's a creamy hot bowl of Easy One Pot Beef Stroganoff.
Dallin prefers a more hamburger helper style Stroganoff. For those not familiar with this very American delicacy - it is also known as the "poor man's beef stroganoff" and is made with ground beef instead of strips or chunks of beef.
Although, sometimes comfort foods are the easiest and simplest of recipes. In fact one of our favorite, simple yet comforting dishes is Cheesy Funeral Potatoes. If you are looking for more comfort food recipes also give our Southwestern Tamale Pie and Chicken Pot Pie a try.
While there are many variations of beef stroganoff out there, in order for a dish to be a true beef stroganoff there are very distinct and savory flavors that most be present.
- Onion - This is a key flavor profile you cannot miss out on. If you have picky eaters who do not love the texture of onion there are ways to disguise this key ingredient without missing out on any flavor. I'll share the ins and outs of that in just a minute.
- Ground Beef - Next, a good quality lean ground beef. The best ratio of fat content is 85 to 90 percent lean ground beef.
- Garlic - Want a stronger garlic flavor? Just substitute the powder for minced garlic instead. Use 2 teaspoons of minced garlic in lieu of the ½ teaspoon of garlic powder called for.
- Pasta - Stroganoff is typically served over egg noodles but that doesn't mean it can't get switched up! Check out this Pasta Guide for which kinds of pastas work best with different sauces. For this recipe you are going to want to use a pasta that pairs well with a rich meat sauce, heavy cream or Bolognese sauce.
🥣 Step by Step Instructions
Firstly, grab a large, deep skillet or pot for your Easy One Pot Beef Stroganoff. Then add your onions and oil and sauté till they are almost translucent.
Next add the ground beef, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper to the pan. Go ahead and brown the meat, breaking it up into bite size pieces.
Afterwards add the dijon mustard. Once mixed in, add the cream of mushroom soup. After fully incorporated add the mushrooms, uncooked pasta and beef broth to the pan.
Then cook the pasta till all the liquid has been absorbed. If the noodles are not entirely cooked before the broth has cooked off, or are sticking to the bottom of the skillet, you may need to add additional water. But do it slowly, you don't want overcooked pasta with your Easy One Pot Beef Stroganoff.
When the pasta reaches al dente take the pan off the heat. Add your sour cream and mix together. Serve and enjoy!
💭 Top Tips
What even is past al dente? Al dente when translated means, to the tooth. Meaning, pasta al dente is tender, yet still firm to the bite when cooked. The best way to test if pasta is al dente is biting or cutting it in half.
Al dente pasta will have a small white dot or line in the center. When making Easy One Pot Beef Stroganoff we prefer our pasta to be al dente.
👩🏻🍳 Make it Your Own
Wanting to cut back on the fat content in this recipe? Try substituting the ground beef for ground turkey. You can also substitute sour cream for greek yogurt. Fage Greek Yogurt is definitely our go to when cooking.
Be warned though, greek yogurt does not thicken like sour cream when cooled. It will make your Easy One Pot Beef Stroganoff sauce much wetter.
To combat this, I would suggest cutting it back to ¼ cup and then add more as needed, till you reach your desired sauce consistency.
Can you disguise onion in a recipe?
If you have anyone in your dinner party that isn't a fan of the texture of onions but doesn't mind the flavor, here is a Pro Chef - Mom Hack just for you.
Instead of dicing your onion for Easy One Pot Beef Stroganoff, try grating or pureeing it instead. This disguises the texture without missing out on that key flavor profile. In our experience grating your onion works in many recipes and does the trick for even the pickiest of eaters.
What is Pasta Al Dente?
Al dente when translated means, to the tooth. Meaning, pasta al dente is tender, yet still firm to the bite when cooked. The best way to test if pasta is al dente is biting or cutting it in half. Al dente pasta will have a small white dot or line in the center.
Where did Stroganoff come from?
The one to which we owe all gratitude for such a delicious dish is a French chef, named Charles Briere, who was working for a wealthy Russian family living in St. Petersburg. Briere needed a dish to enter into a cooking competition in 1891. His delectable dish became award-winning.
It quickly became a sensation, first in Russia and then in China, eventually followed by America. It's popularity really taking off after World War II. Decadent yet simple to make, Stroganoff became a signature dish in countless homes across America.
One Pot Beef Stroganoff
A savory, creamy pasta dish is what makes Beef Stroganoff the perfect weeknight meal. This simple one pot recipe is comfort food at its best.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced thin (optional)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon dijon mustard (optional)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 4½ cups beef broth
- 4 cups noodles, uncooked
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ tablespoon parsley flakes (optional)
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil.
- Add onions and sauté till an almost translucent color. 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add ground beef, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper to skillet.
- Brown the meat, breaking it up into bite size pieces. 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add dijon mustard, stirring till well combined.
- Add can of cream of mushroom soup and stir well.
- Add sliced mushrooms, uncooked pasta and beef broth to skillet. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Cook noodles till they are al dente and liquid has been absorbed. About 12 minutes. (If noodles are not entirely cooked before broth has cooked off or are sticking to bottom of the skillet you may need to add additional water, do so slowly.)
- Remove skillet from heat. Stir in sour cream. Taste and add more salt if desired.
- If you have anyone in your dinner party that isn't a fan of the texture of onions try grating the onion instead of dicing. This disguises the texture without missing out on that key flavor profile. This trick works in many recipes for even our pickest eaters.
- Substitute the ground beef for ground turkey if preferred.
- Substitute sour cream for greek yogurt if preferred. Fage is the brand we find to work best when cooking. It does make the sauce much wetter though, so I would suggest cutting it back to ¼ cup and then add as needed to reach desired consistency.
- Traditionally stroganoff is served with egg noodles but you can absolutley substitute for your favorite pasta instead.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 309Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 456mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 20g