Quick & Simple Chicken Salad is always an easy crowd favorite. With just a handful of ingredients create a filling, delicious and creamy salad everyone will love. A salad with the perfect balance of flavor, texture, and color will not leave you disappointed!
Light and fresh this chicken salad is full of crisp apples and sweet grapes and the faintest hint of lemon. Whether you use leftover chicken, grab a rotisserie from Costco or my favorite last-minute go to – canned chicken you’ve got an easy meal. Enjoy it on crackers or celery for snacking, on top a salad or in a wrap for a light lunch or in a sandwich for a quick and simple dinner.
Canned Chicken to the Rescue
Now, hear me out, hear me out … hear me out. Using fresh chicken is obviously your best bet, so don't hesitate to substitute it in this recipe. Today though, I need to talk up my good friend -- canned chicken. Let us be honest, there are some days you don’t have the time or energy to get chicken cooked and prepared. These are the times our good friend swoops in to save the day.
My favorite, and the only canned chicken I use is Kirkland brand. The chicken is clean and quality top notch. I highly suggest rinsing the chicken one or two times to help remove excess salt and brine for a fresher taste. If you don't have access to Kirkland chicken, HERE are other brands of canned chicken to try
Chicken Salad 100 Ways
Whether you enjoy it over lettuce as a delicious salad, in a wrap, on a slice of toasted bread or buttery croissant for a filling sandwich it is sure to hit the spot. And because there are so many ways to enjoy this salad, This truly is the perfect recipe for any occasion. Serve it at your next Sunday picnic, barbecue, potluck, baby shower, or light lunch!
MAKE IT YOUR OWN
In this recipe you will see my favorite take on chicken salad. But remember, one of the best advantages of having control in your own kitchen is being able to make a recipe your own. And Chicken Salad is an easy recipe to customize to your own liking.
Any good chicken salad really just needs the basic building blocks. As long as you choose something from each category there really is no way to go wrong.
Chicken Salad's basic makeup in addition to chicken includes, a sweet bite, something with a little crunch, a creamy component, a flavor boost and if interested, a savory element. One of the most glorious aspects of chicken salad is that anything kind of goes. So, let your inner chef be inspired and LET'S GO!
- ranch seasoning
- dijon mustard
- lime or lemon juice
- crisp celery
- tart apple
- chopped pecans
- slivered almonds
- crumbled bacon
- minced onion
- diced pickle
- boiled egg
- mashed avocado
- sour cream
- greek yogurt (for a healthier option)
Pro-Chef and Mom Hacks
Chicken Salad can be stored in the fridge for up to a week. Which totally makes this a fantastic, prepare ahead of time, kind of meal. Meal prep a variety of lunches early in the week using your prepared chicken salad as a base and life is that much easier the rest of the week!
Another pro tip we want to be sure to offer is make sure that you allow enough time for this to chill in the fridge after preparing for at least two hours. Ideally you would make in advance and let this sit overnight so that all the flavors have a chance to meld together into a perfect harmony of deliciousness.
Make it a Meal to Remember
- 2 cans shredded chicken, 25 oz
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup grapes, quartered
- 1½ cup apple, skinned and diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Drain canned chicken. Rinse chicken well to wash off extra brine. Add chicken to a mixing bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, apple, grapes, and lemon juice.
- Mix ingredients till just incorporated. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer salad mixture to an air tight container. Store in refrigerator to chill. Strive for a minimum of 2 hours, ideally overnight for optimal flavor.
- Serve with favorite sandwich bread. We suggest thick whole wheat slices or a large buttery croissant.
- We prefer Kirkand brand canned chicken, clean and high quality.
- If you prefer fresh chicken you can sub the canned chicken for 3 cups shredded chicken.
- Be sure to thoroughly rinse canned chicken to remove excess brine and salt.
- Let the salad chil for at least 2 hours to help flavors meld together. (We like to make it and let it chill in the fridge overnight.)
- The mixture may appear too wet initially. As the mixture chills it will absorb some of the mayo. If you prefer a drier sandwich use ½ cup mayo instead.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 313Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 235mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 23g