Evidently today is National Cookie day and that is a holiday I can totally get behind. This quick classic Chocolate Chip cookies recipe is super easy to make and a great go-to when in a pinch.
I mean I don't think there is anything in the world better than a big soft, dense, warm classic chocolate chip cookie. So by all means, break out your apron, pre-heat the oven and let's get celebrating!
And if you are wanting more of a bakery style, old fashioned chocolate chip cookie you've got to give my mom's recipe a try! And if you do try both, be sure to tell me which cookie was your favorite!
How to make classic chocolate chip cookies
When forming the dough into balls I like to make mine more coned shaped rather than perfectly rounded. It may look a little silly when it goes in the oven, but results in a thicker, chewier center.
Now, one of the key things to watch if wanting a soft chewy cookie is not to over bake them. I know every recipe out there probably says something like this but I am serious - DO NOT over bake.
You want the cookies to be pale and puffy when you pull them out, they will continue to bake on the cookie sheet. When you open the oven door to check in on them if you are starting to see the higher raised edges of your cookies turning golden brown get them out!
How to get chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
For a chewier dense, classic chocolate chip cookies, immediately after pulling out of the oven, drop your cookie sheet 1-2 times on a flat surface. Fair warning, this is loud and will startle anyone else in the room.
I can't tell you how many times this scared me growing up when my mom would do it. But the result is so worth it!
Can you freeze classic chocolate chip cookies?
This tender yummy dough makes for the BEST buttery cookies. I especially like to double or even triple the recipe and freeze already portioned into dough balls for pulling out later and popping in the oven for an even quicker 10 minute treat.
Santa Approved Holiday Cookies
These cookies are perfect for the holidays and totally Santa approved! And if you are looking for another Santa approved cookie recipe you can whip together in 20 minutes or less you have got to check out our 3 ingredient Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Can't decide which to make? Don't worry get extra brownie points with the big man by offering classic chocolate chip cookies TWO ways with a nice tall glass of milk this year. You will for sure earn yourself a permanent spot on the Nice List.
- 8 tablespoons salted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Microwave butter for about 30 seconds to just barely melt it. You want it to be somewhere between soft with just a little liquid.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer whip butter till creamy (about 1-2 minutes).
- Add sugars and cream together with butter.
- Add vanilla and egg, mix on low until the egg is just incorporated. Do not overmix or your cookie dough will be tough.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt to a mesh sifter over the mixing bowl. Gently sift in your dry ingredients stopping about half way to mix and then sift in remaining dry mixture. Mix till crumbles form.
- Dough should be somewhere between wet and dry dough consistency. Add chocolate chips and mix in with your hands forming dough into a large ball. (If dough is too wet add a little more flour a tablespoon at a time. You want your dough to be on the wetter side, but easy to handle.)
- On a lightly greased cookie sheet place cookie dough balls. I like to make mine more coned shaped than perfectly round so the center of cookies are thick and chewy.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes being SUPER careful not to overbake. You want them to be pale and puffy.
- For a chewier, dense cookie, immediately after pulling out of the oven, drop your cookie sheet 1-2 times on a flat surface like the counter.
- Let cookies finish cooling on the cookie sheet for 30 minutes and enjoy! Store in an air tight container to keep cookies soft.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 166mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 3g