Rich, sweet and salty this moist Heath Bar Chocolate Caramel Cake is the perfect balance of all the things you could ever want in a dessert. Chocolate cake topped with sweetened condensed milk, caramel sauce, a thick layer of cool whip and heath candy bar bits makes for such a tasty treat.
This ooey-gooey dessert is definitely a crowd-pleasing favorite! Sweet, chocolatey and oh so delicious this cake, as good as it sounds, is even easier than you think to make! And I call that a win in my book.
There is something so satisfying about serving up and enjoying a beautifully delicious slice of cake. Other favorites to serve that deserve checking out are our best ever Texas Sheet Cake, show stopping Layered Strawberry Shortcake Cake or easy Banana Coconut Cake.
This cake is known by many a name. Maybe you've heard it called Better than Sex Cake? Now, I am a lover of cake but really? Maybe, Almost Better than Sex Cake is a little more appropriate ... but we will let you be the judge.
So here is what you will need to make this irresistible cake.
- Baked Chocolate Cake - We use a Devil's Food boxed cake mix. Bake it just as the instructions call for. And if you love the ease of boxed cake mix recipes like I do, you absolutely need to check out these boxed cake mix recipes German Chocolate Caramel Brownies, Strawberry Lemonade Cookies, Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- Can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Caramel Sauce - Trust me on this one. Stick with a caramel sauce not a syrup.
- Cool Whip - Using Cool Whip makes this so, so easy! Stick with easy.
- Heath Toffee Bits AND Heath Toffee Candy Bar - We used both. Smashed candy bar on top of the caramel sauce and sweetened condensed milk and saved toffee bits for on top of the cake.
🥣 Step by Step Instructions
There are many variations of Poke Cakes. They are a well loved dessert for many reasons. It could be because they are so super easy to make or it might be because they offer so much goodness and flavor for such little effort.
A poke cake usually starts with a baked, warm cake. A small round spoon handle or straw is used to poke holes in the cake. Then a liquid sauce or filling is poured over top to drip into the holes making an ooey-gooey moist dessert.
Firstly, you will want to start with a warm baked chocolate cake. I usually use a Devils Food boxed cake mix but you can choose. While the cake is still hot use a wooden spoon handle to poke holes in the cake.
Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the cake and sprinkle with the crushed Heath candy bars. Drizzle the cake with the caramel sauce and let sit in the fridge so that cake can cool down completely.
Once the cake is totally cooled spread a thick layer of cool whip and top with Heath toffee candy bits.
💭 Top Tips
If stressed for time this recipe is perfect for making in advance. Make this cake the day before you need to serve.
Follow all the steps in the original recipe up to adding the cool whip. Wrap and store in the fridge till just ready to serve. Unwrap and add the final layers of cool whip topping and candy bits. Serve it up and enjoy!
👩🏻🍳 Make it Your Own
There are all kinds of poke cakes. You can use any flavor cake base and almost any kind of filling you want. Here are just a few of the ways you can change it up.
- Cake Mix - The next time you make this dessert change up the cake mix flavor. Devil Food Cake, German Chocolate or a Chocolate Fudge. You can also use any other favorite cake flavor, get creative with it.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk - A filling can be anything from pudding, Jell-O when still in liquid form, fruit puree, sweet sauce and more! The options are endless.
- Caramel Sauce - Swap out the caramel sauce for a hot fudge sauce instead for even more of a chocolate lover’s dream cake.
- Cool Whip - Toss out the cool whip tub and go for the real thing. Whip up a quick batch of homemade whipped cream and layer that on instead.
- Candy Bar - Switch out Heath bar for another favorite candy like Twix, Snickers or Butterfinger. Or try adding mini chocolate chips!
It isn't likely there are ever going to be any leftovers when you serve this up BUT incase there is, you can definitely store those leftovers to enjoy another day.
Refrigerator - If wanting to store in the fridge wrap to enjoy the next day all you need to do is tightly cover with plastic wrap and it will stay good for 2-3 days.
Freezer - If storing in the freezer cover tightly with plastic wrap. Then cover again in aluminum foil. Any leftover cake will last there for 3 months. When you are ready to enjoy it just pull it out of the freezer and allow it to thaw.
- Devil's Food Chocolate Cake, baked
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 Heath candy bars, crushed or chopped
- 1 jar of caramel sauce
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 1 cup Heath English toffee bits
- Start with a warm baked chocolate cake. Follow instructions on box as directed.
- Using a wooden spoon handle or straw poke holes throughout the chocolate cake.
- Pour can of sweetened condensed milk over the cake. Sprinkle with crushed Heath candy bars. Pour caramel sauce over the top.
- Allow cake to sit in the fridge until entirely cooled. (About 30 minutes.)
- Pull cake from fridge and spread cool whip over the entire cake. Sprinkle with Heath Toffee Bits. Serve and Enjoy!
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 2-3 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
- You can prepare this the day before if desired. We just suggest waiting to add the cool whip topping and final sprinkle of toffee bits until ready to serve the next day.
- For ideas of fun ingredient swaps read above in the post.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 295Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 113mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 32gProtein: 2g