Packed with rustic and delicious flavors there is no better fall dish to grab than Black Bean Sweet Potato Burritos. Stuffed with roasted sweet potato, black bean, chilies, onion and yummy spices this meal is full of healthy and wholesome goodness. In fact, these burritos are so good we recommend enjoying them for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
A serving, or two, of this veggie loaded burrito and you are sure to be happy, full and satisfied. And don’t worry, you and your family won’t even miss the meat in this dish. Bursting with flavor this is a hearty and nutritious meal that will leave everyone wanting more.
Quick Easy Weeknight Dinner
What’s even better about this entrée is how quickly and easily this sheet pan recipe comes together. Full of simple, rustic ingredients these burritos are sure to be your new favorite go-to, make ahead weeknight dinner or lunch.
And if you love a good sheet pan or one pot meal and are looking for more to add to your menu than you’ve got to give our favorite Sweet and Spicy Chili, Beef Stroganoff or this Poppy Seed Chicken a try!
Make it Your Own
Another great thing about burritos is that they make the perfect base. There are so many ways to make a burrito your own. All you have to do is add in your favorite flavors to make this burrito all yours. Here are a handful of ideas to get you started:
- Chicken, Beef, Pork, Fish or Tofu
Once you've got everything your heart desires combined in your burrito mixture it's time to start wrapping it up and get creative with the toppings.
What goes on top of Black Bean Sweet Potato Burritos?
And you can't forget the sauce or topping! We all know the crucial component of a good burrito is what you choose to smother it with. Let us offer a few suggestions for you:
- Give it a good drizzle of Fresh Avocado Salsa.
- Enjoy every bite with Restaurant Style Pico De Gallo.
- Add a HEAPING spoonful of our favorite Easy Cowboy Caviar for a full punch of southwestern flavor.
How do I make this Recipe Ahead of Time?
But if you know you are in for a busy week you can absolutely prepare this ahead of time. All you need to do is roast the filling just like the recipe calls for. When it’s time to fill your tortilla make sure you heat each side or 30 seconds. This will help the tortilla be more pliable while wrapping and keep it from cracking. THIS IS KEY! We don't want to lose any of that delicious bean and potato mixture to a cracked and broken tortilla!
As if this recipe wasn’t easy or appealing enough just wait till I tell you another way to make dinner that much quicker! Let’s double the recipe and freeze up a batch of burritos because these bad boys freeze so well. When you are ready just pull out a burrito or two and get dinner or lunch on the table in MINUTES.
Make this Freezer Friendly
Fill each tortilla with your potato and black bean mixture. Sprinkle on the cheese and fold in the edges of each burrito. Next wrap each burrito tightly in foil and pop in the freezer. When ready to eat remove from freezer and foil. Place in the oven for 20 minutes or so and enjoy!
And don’t think for a second that the fun and customizing stops there. Not only does Black Bean Sweet Potato Burrito filling taste awesome in a burrito but you can also use it to make taquitos, enchiladas, rice bowls … be daring and put this mixture in ALL the things.
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can diced green chilies
- ½ large red onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Tajin seasoning mix
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 12 burrito size tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- In a bowl combine the sweet potatoes, chilies, onion, peppers. Pour olive oil over the top and add seasonings to the bowl, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir everything together until seasonings are evenly dispersed.
- Pour out the veggies on to a sheet pan and spread them evenly for roasting.
- Sprinkle pan with Tajin seasoning and place in oven to bake for 18 minutes or potatoes are fork tender.
- Once baked remove pan from the oven. Empty the sheet pan' into a bowl and combine black beans, cilantro, and lime juice. Stir to combine.
- In another bowl combine both types of cheese and mix together.
- Heat each tortilla for 20-30 seconds in the microwave or stove to make more pliable.
- Take a warmed tortilla and place a ½ cup to a ⅓ cup of the sweet potato mixture inside.
- Sprinkle with cheese and fold the ends of your burrito in and roll the sides of the tortilla together. Place the burrito on a baking sheet.
- Repeat with the other 11 tortillas. Once the baking sheet is filled place it in the oven. Allow burritos to bake for 10-12 minutes at 375°F. Serve warm.
- We usually have anywhere between a cup to a cup and a half of the sweet potato mixture left over. We like to save this and enjoy it baked with scrambled eggs the next morning.
- This recipe is perfect for doubling and freezing for later. Check out all the things you need to know about doing that above.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 585Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 1525mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 13gSugar: 7gProtein: 25g