Easy Cowboy Caviar sometimes called Texas Caviar or Mexican Caviar, is a healthy appetizer full of colorful veggies, hearty beans and tossed in a zesty, tangy homemade dressing.
In ten quick minutes I love that I can have a tasty, fresh dish for sharing. Colorful it is perfect for any party table with its vibrant colors. Bright and packed with flavor this salsa is filling and delicious.
Dips and salsas are the perfect go-to option for bringing to any get together. Easy Cowboy Caviar easily gives our other favorite party dips like Seven Layer Dip or restaurant style Pico De Gallo a run for their money.
Ingredients for Cowboy Caviar
Easy Cowboy Caviar is basically the coming together of a simple fresh salsa and a tangy bean salad. Such fresh ingredients make for a satisfying and healthy snack that never disappoints.
- black beans
- sweet corn
- red onion
- lime juice
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
Made up of beans and fresh cut veggies that means it is gluten free, vegetarian and vegan friendly! Making this the perfect dish for all party guests to enjoy!
Make it Your Own
Like I mentioned before, one reason this recipe is so awesome is how fast it comes together. All you pretty much have to do is chop up some veggies and toss together everything in a bowl.
To keep things simple we love using our veggie chopper to get the job done. We also use canned black beans and sweet corn to cut down on prep time. But you could definitely use frozen or fresh corn off the cob if preferred.
We are big advocates of taking any recipe and making it your own. Here are a few suggestions of great add ins or ingredients to use if hoping to change things up.
- Chunked Avocado
- Chickpeas, Pinto or Black-Eyed Peas
- Chopped Red or Green Bell Peppers
- Splash of White Wine Vinegar
- Use Rotel in place of Tomatoes for quicker prep time
- Swap Italian Dressing in place of the Cumin and Lime Juice
How do I serve Cowboy Caviar?
Make this recipe ahead of time and allow to chill so everything can come together for an explosion of incredible flavor. This colorful side dish is perfect for parties, get togethers or grilling.
Spruce up your next taco or enchilada night with this delicious dip.
Fresh and slightly sweet Easy Cowboy Caviar is perfect for pairing with salty, crisp tortilla chips or served on top of your favorite Mexican dishes.
And don’t be afraid to put a big ole spoonful on top of grilled chicken or steak for a bite of extra fresh flavor!
How long can you keep Cowboy Caviar in the fridge?
If stored in an airtight container this dip can be kept in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Keep in mind, the longer your dip sits in the fridge the more excess liquid that will accumulate. Just drain off excess juices and enjoy!
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can sweet corn, drained
- 1 ½ cups red onion, diced
- 2 cups roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ tablespoon sugar (optional)
- Prep all the ingredients as listed.
- Place everything in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Cover tightly and allow to chill until ready to enjoy.
- Serve with tortilla chips, on grilled meats or on your favorite Mexican dishes.
- Make it your own by adding chopped bell pepper, black eyed peas, avocado or any of the other items we suggested in the section above..
- Can be enjoyed if stored in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 72Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 172mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g