Creamy Rotel Sausage Dip may go by many a name, but when it comes down to it, these 3 classic ingredients always win over the crowd! Melty cream cheese, spicy hot sausage and a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, come together for one simple and tasty dish!
We love whipping out this easy recipe for all the things. Last minute get togethers, parties, late night snacking, game day eats - you name it. Not to mention that this tasty snack comes together in just mere minutes! Surely it will become a quick favorite for your crew.
Are you looking for other delicious appetizer or snacking options? You've definitely got to check out some of our other favorite dip recipes. Our Mango Avocado Dip, Seven Layer Taco Dip or Tomatillo Avocado Dip are sure fire winners!
I’ll admit – a recipe with only three ingredients may not seem very impressive. But don’t let that fool you for one second! This Creamy Rotel Sausage Dip combo brings serious flavor and blends together perfectly.
- Cooked Hot Sausage
- Cream Cheese
- Rotel Tomatoes
These three ingredients combined are not to be underestimated. They come packing some BIG and delicious flavor. Creamy and cool with just the right amount of heat this dippable snack pairs beautifully with crispy and salty chips.
🍳 Step by Step Instructions
With just 10 minutes, these three ingredients come together in three easy steps for the perfect dipping appetizer.
- Cook Sausage - Cook your sausage and drain off any excess grease. Move sausage to a microwave safe bowl.
- Add Cream Cheese and Rotel - Add cream cheese and canned tomatoes to the bowl. If quick is what you are going for, be sure to cube the cream cheese for faster melting while cooking. You can definitely throw it in as one big block, it will just take a little longer to melt down.
- Heat it Up and Enjoy - Cover the bowl and place in a microwave for 1-2 minute intervals. Stir between intervals of heating. Continue this till cream cheese is melted and creamy. When creamy rotel sausage dip is all mixed together serve hot and enjoy.
Whether hosting a small party, heading to a potluck, catching the tailgating festivities before a big game or looking for a warm, cozy weeknight dinner, you are sure to impress. This Creamy Rotel Sausage dip always gets scooped up quick. No need to worry about having any leftovers!
⏲️ Methods of Cooking
Microwave: If I am being totally honest, the microwave is usually our go-to method of madness with this recipe. I know, I know. How un-sophisticated of us! But some days, I just need quick and easy. And it doesn't get easier than pulling out a bag of already cooked frozen sausage and throwing it in a bowl with cream cheese and Rotel! I mean, if I can keep it all to one dish in the microwave ... why the heck not!
Stovetop: But don't stress if you don't have any pre-cooked sausage sitting in your freezer. You can still keep this a one pot dish and make life a little easier for yourself! After you've got your sausage all cooked and the grease drained off just add the cubed cream cheese and can of Rotel straight to the skillet. With the heat on medium-low stir till everything comes together. Creamy and melty is the look we are going for.
Crockpot: To keep this rotel sausage dip creamy and melty while serving, cook and serve in a crockpot! Once you have the sausage cooked add it to the crockpot. Next add cubed cream cheese and can of Rotel to the slow cooker. Turn the crockpot on low and cook for 3-4 hours till everything is nice and melty. Be sure to stir every so often.
💭 Top Tips
For easy and quick grease cleanup from the sausage, push all the cooked meat to one side of the pan. Carefully tilt the skillet at an angle and place 1 or 2 folded paper towels in the empty space where the grease drained off. After the paper towels have soaked up the grease pull them out of the skillet and toss!
And our last tidbit - do not drain off the Rotel. You need all those yummy juices to help thin out the dip so it isn’t sooo thick. Trust me it will still be nice and thick, it just takes it to a better scooping consistency.
👩🏻🍳 Make It Your Own
Now time for one of my favorite parts of being the chef in your own kitchen. Make this recipe and every single one you cook suited to you! Here are a few ideas for getting started.
Can You Take the Heat?
Do you live more on the wild, spicy side? One of the great things about this recipe is that you can set all of the ingredients to your liking. Want a little kick, go with a spicy hot sausage and original Rotel. If you prefer a more mild walk in the park choose a mild sausage and mild can of Rotel.
Shake It Up
It is also easy to shake up the flavors a bit and give this creamy rotel sausage dip your own twist. Here are a few ideas for a slightly different flavor profile to give your taste buds exactly what they are craving.
- Cheesier the Better: Swap out that cream cheese for Velveeta and get extra cheesy by sprinkling shredded cheese on top!
- Tex-Mex Here We Come: Use Mexican Velveeta in place of cream cheese, add half a packet of taco seasoning, and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Italian Lover’s Dream: Toss out the Rotel and grab a can of diced tomatoes roasted in garlic instead, and be sure to swap out your sausage for an Italian sausage variety instead.
🥗 How to Serve
Creamy Rotel Sausage Dip is usually served with tortilla chips. When picking your chips make sure you pick one that will be able to standup to this delicious dip. Nothing is worse than going in for some big scooping action and having your chip break on you!
And don’t think you are limited to only serving this dip with a bowl of tortilla chips. No, there are so many delicious ways to enjoy this recipe!
Serve it with warm slices of pita bread, on top of toasty baguettes, with celery or other veggie sticks, or baked into crescent dough and rolled into mini creamy rotel sausage croissants. There really is no going wrong with this dip!
- 1 pound sausage
- 16 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 1 can rotel
- Cook sausage until crumbled and no longer pink. Drain off any excess grease.
- Add sausage, cream cheese and rotel to a microwave safe dish.
- Heat in microwave for 3 minutes, stirring at a minute and a half. Once creamy and melty serve it hot.
- You can also cook this on the stovetop by adding cubed cream cheese and can of rotel to skillet. Stir till everything is melty and combined.
- If cooking in the crockpot add cooked sausage, cubed cream cheese and rotel, turn on low and cook for 4 hours till melty. Stirring occasionally.
- Be sure to cube the cream cheese for faster melting.
- You can make this as spicy or mild as you prefer depending on the flavor of sausage and rotel flavors you use.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 254Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 569mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g