It doesn't get much easier than quick freezer burritos. Beef, beans and cheesy goodness wrapped tightly in a fresh tortilla makes these the best family friendly lunch and dinner option.
Loaded with veggies, meat and beans these burritos are protein packed. Every burrito is filling and delicious.
All it takes is a few ingredients to make a tasty filling, then wrap your burrito nice and tight, pop it in the freezer until it's time to heat up and enjoy. It is as easy as 1, 2, 3.
This make-ahead meal is about as easy as it comes. It really is the perfect recipe for stocking the freezer with quick lunches or easy dinners.
And if on the hunt for another super easy meal our Southwestern Tamale Pie is perfect for getting on the table quickly!
Ingredients for Freezer Burritos
What do you put in a freezer burrito? Goodness the options are endless. There are so many great fillings for burritos. Here is what we use to make ours.
- Ground Hamburger - you can swap beef out for shredded chicken or pork
- Enchilada Sauce - red or green sauce will work, whatever you like best
- Refried Beans - you could also swap these out for black or pinto beans too
- Shredded Cheese - a mixed blend is best for optimal meltiness and flavor
- Tortillas - flour or wheat tortillas will freeze best
- Canned Green Chilies - totally optional
- Chopped Onions
- Chopped Peppers
- Canned Rotel
- Chili Powder
- Hot Sauce
How to Make Freezer Burritos
Step 1 - Prepare Filling
The first thing you will want to do to prepare your freezer burritos is make your filling. This begins with cooking your hamburger, onions and peppers.
Add in beans, Rotel, and seasonings. Stir to combine everything.
Step 2 - Assemble Burrito
Warming your tortilla before rolling even for just 10 or 15 seconds will make them more pliable and help avoid cracking. You can heat tortillas in the microwave wrapped in a damp paper towel for about 20 seconds or in a pan on the stove for a few seconds on each side till warm.
Warm tortillas make it sooo much easier to fold your finished burrito. Once warm add two to three scoops of filling and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
If you are wanting to make kid size burritos try using 8 inch tortillas. They are the perfect size for little hands!
Step 3 - Fold Burritos
Carefully fold one end of the burrito in at a time and then roll one side in and tuck remaining side of tortilla around burrito.
Step 3 - Enjoy Now or Store for Later
If choosing to eat your burritos now - they are ready to enjoy! If saving for later you can place all your prepared burritos directly into a storage bag or container.
Or if you don't want to deal with the hassle of getting burritos out of the bag later, wrap each folded burrito tightly in parchment paper. Check out our other tips and tricks for freezing burritos below!
What do you put on a Frozen Burrito? Freezer Burritos really do make a great base for any meal. Add some eggs and serve for breakfast. Pull out and enjoy by itself for a quick lunch or gussy it up with some sauce or fresh veggies for dinner.
Here are some of our favorite pairings with burritos:
- Cream - cool and tangy sour cream or a mexican crema is a great addition
- Sauce - add a chunky salsa or our Homemade Avocado Salsa for extra pizazz
- Fresh Veggies - there is nothing more delicious than topping with our super easy Cowboy Caviar, Pico De Gallo, or fresh Mango Avocado Salsa
How do you Freeze Cooked Burritos?
Don't be intimidated by freezing burritos. It's super easy to do and with a few tricks I've learned over the years you will soon be a freezer pro!
- First things first, you have got to be sure your burrito is wrapped nice and tight. This is going to make it easier to eat after it has been re-heated and keep it from becoming a big ole mess.
- Once your tortilla is wrapped tightly, place it in a warm skillet on the stove. Let each side sit until it is lightly browned then rotate and repeat to the other side of the burrito. Not only does this help the burritos hold their shape but it will also helps the tortilla from becoming soggy when reheated!
- After the burritos have cooled COMPLETELY wrap them in parchment paper and place in a freezer safe container or bag to pull out later.
- And lastly, if freezing your burritos you will want to make sure to avoid adding avocado, sour cream or lettuce to them. These ingredients do not freeze well and will do much better if added to the top just before serving.
How to Heat Frozen Burritos
There are several ways to heat frozen burritos when ready to serve. Really it just comes down to your preferred method of warming.
Microwave: Put one burrito on a plate and place in the microwave for 2-4 minutes or until it is hot throughout.
Oven: Place the burritos on a sheet pan and bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 375 degrees till they are warmed all the way through.
Air Fryer: Place one burrito in the air fryer and bake at 400 degrees for 13 minutes, flip burrito and cook for another 5 minutes. (This is a great way to get the burrito nice and crispy!)
- 1 onions, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 pounds ground hamburger
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- 2 packages tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- On the stove sauté onions and peppers over medium to high heat, till onion is translucent. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Add ground beef to vegetables and cook till ground beef is no longer pink. Drain off any excess grease or fluids.
- Add enchilada sauce, Rotel, refried beans, chili powder and hot sauce to pan with meat. Heat and stir till combined.
- Once filling is warm begin assembling burritos with meat mixture and small handful of shredded cheese.
- Wrap burritos being sure to tuck in the ends. Place burritos in a freezer safe container and store till you are ready to enjoy in the freezer!
- Ground beef can be switched out for any other meat you'd like, chicken, pork, or steak.
- Add a can of diced green chilies in place of the Rotel.
- Switch out that chili powder and hot sauce for a taco seasoning mix.
TIPS & TRICKS:
- Before assembling the burrito warm your tortilla for a few seconds on each side to help keep the tortilla pliable to avoid cracking.
- To help seal the burritos and have them come out nice and crispy when re-heated place each folded burrito in a heated pan and allow it to brown on each side for a few seconds.
- When ready to freeze wrap each burrito in parchment paper to make it that much easier when pulling out burritos later to enjoy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 32 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 190mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 10g