Sweet and tangy cream cheese filling sandwiched between two soft, pillowy chocolate cookies is what makes these Whoopie Pie Cookie Sandwiches so delicious. Easy and simple this classic dessert is well loved and adored. Fun and portable they are perfect for picnics, parties or bake sales.
Is this simple dessert a cookie, sandwich or cake? Really a whoopie pie is the best part of all three desserts. Reminiscent of a homemade Oreo, traditionally this cookie is a sweet filling sandwiched between two chocolate cake like cookies.
A Whoopie Pie cookie sandwich is the perfect way to finish up any meal. Paired with some of our favorite dinner entrees like Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas, Sheet Pan Parmesan Chicken, Spaghetti with meat sauce, or easy Baked Pasta these make the perfect dessert option!
With just five ingredients these cookies are one of the yummiest and easiest sweet treats you can whip up. All you need are these few things.
- Devil's Food Cake Mix
- Powdered Sugar
- Cream Cheese
🍳 Step-by-Step Instructions
Firstly, pre-heat the oven to 350° F. Then line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Secondly, in a large bowl you will want to combine your cake mix, softened butter and eggs. Then using a hand mixer, finish mixing the cookie dough.
After the batter is prepared, use a cookie scoop to portion and drop balls of cookie dough on to a parchment lined cookie sheet. Then once the cookie sheet is filled, place it in the oven to bake at 350° F for 8 to 10 minutes.
Once the cookies have baked pull them from the oven and allow them to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Meanwhile, we can go ahead and prepare the filling. In a bowl combine powdered sugar, softened butter and softened cream cheese by pressing them together with your hands.
Using an electric hand mixer continue to beat the filling till it becomes soft and fluffy with more of a frosting consistency.
Lastly, when the cookies are completely cooled, spread the filling between two cookies to create a Whoopie Pie cookie sandwich.
👩🏻🍳 Make it Your Own
Whoopie Pie cookie sandwiches are such a fun dessert. They come in all flavors and varieties. However, a traditional whoopie pie is typically two chocolate cakes filled with a marshmallow or creme filling.
Whoopie pies can easily be customized however by just changing the cake or filling flavor. Pretty much any cake flavor will make a delicious whoopie pie cookie sandwich.
And when it comes to filling you can split the batch into two bowls and add extract or additional flavoring for endless filling varieties. However, peanut butter, mint, lemon and strawberry are all delicious options.
💭 Top Tips
Semi-uniform cookies are ideal for making beautiful cookie sandwiches. It is easiest to achieve uniform cookies by using a cookie scoop to get even cookie dough balls.
Whoopie pie cookie sandwiches freeze really well. The best way to freeze them is to place a piece of parchment paper between each cookie. Then frozen cookies won't stick together and be easier to enjoy later.
The best way to store extra sandwiches is to lay them flat on a cookie sheet in the freezer until frozen solid. Then you need to place a piece of parchment paper between cookies and store them in an airtight container or Ziploc styled bag. This will help to keep them from sticking together.
How to make uniform cookies?
For recipes like this whoopie pie cookie sandwich, you want your cookies to be semi-uniform. Then they sandwich together nicely with any prepared filling.
The best way to achieve uniform cookies is by using a cookie scoop to measure your cookie dough into even balls before placing them on the cookie sheet for baking.
Can you make Oreos with a cake mix?
There is no easier way to make homemade oreos or whoopie pie cookie sandwiches than with a boxed cake mix. Cake mix whoopie pies are seriously so simple and easy, coming together in mere minutes.
Can you freeze homemade Oreos?
Whoopie pie cookie sandwiches are perfect for freezing. The best way to freeze these sandwiches is to lay prepared whoopie pies flat on a cookie sheet in the freezer.
Then once each sandwich is frozen solid place a piece of parchment paper between each cookie inside an airtight container or Ziploc styled bag. Storing them with parchment paper between each cookie will help keep the sandwiches from sticking together.
Soft and pillowy, cakey cookies sandwiched together with a smooth cream cheesefilling make Whoopie Pies an irresistibly fun treat.
- 2 boxes devil's food cake mix
- 1 ½ cups butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- Pre-heat the oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl combine cake mix, softened butter and eggs. Use a hand mixer to finish mixing the batter.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop the batter and drop on to a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake in the oven at 350° F for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- In a bowl combine powdered sugar, softened butter and softened cream cheese by pressing together with your hands.
- Using a hand mixer continue to beat the filling till it becomes soft and fluffy with a frosting consistency.
- When cookies are completely cooled spread filling in the center of two cookies to create a cookie sandwich.
- Whoopie Pies can come in all flavors and varieties. Switch it up with using different kinds of flavored cake mixes.
- Split the filling into two bowls and add extract or additional flavoring for endless filling varieties. Peanut butter, mint, lemon and strawberry are all delicious options.
- Whoopie pie cookies freeze really well. Make sure to place a piece of parchment paper between each cookie so that when frozen cookies don't stick together.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 387mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 0gSugar: 28gProtein: 3g