Sweet cinnamon roll filling swirled in a tender and buttery dough then coated in a dusting of sugar, these Cinnamon Roll Cookies are perfection. With all the ooey-gooey goodness of a classic dessert like warm baked cinnamon rolls, these cookies are sure to become a new favorite!
There is something truly magical about a warm cinnamon roll - but let's be honest they can be a lot of work. But with these Cinnamon Roll Cookies it is easy to enjoy all the beloved flavors of a classic dessert with little to no work!
With a handful of pantry staples these Cinnamon Roll Cookies come together quickly and easily for a warm and comforting treat.
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Ground Clove
- Baking Soda
- Cream of Tartar
(Scroll down to the recipe card for exact measurements and full printable instructions.)
🥣 Step-by-Step Instructions
Prepare the Filling
To enjoy warm baked Cinnamon Roll Cookies, firstly prepare the cinnamon roll filling. Add your softened butter, brown sugar and cinnamon to a bowl. Using a hand mixer combine the filling and place it in the freezer to chill.
Make the Dough
Afterwards use a hand mixer to whip the butter for the Cinnamon Roll Cookies. Then add the sugar to the butter and cream together. Lastly add the egg and vanilla to the bowl. Combine the wet ingredients with a hand mixer until incorporated.
When done add your dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Gently combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, clove and cream of tartar to the bowl. Mix until the dough comes together and there are no more flour streaks.
Form the Dough
In a small bowl combine the sugar and cinnamon to make a cinnamon-sugar coating. Then using a cookie scoop measure out the dough and roll each one in the cinnamon-sugar coating. Place all of the Cinnamon Roll Cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet.
After removing the cinnamon filling from the freezer break it into small chunks. Then place a chunk of filling in the center of each cookie dough ball.
Gently pinch the sides of the dough to seal the filling in the center of the cookie. Press an additional 3 or 4 small chunks of filling into the top of each cookie. We want every bite to be filled with cinnamon-sugar goodness.
Bake and Cool
Then place the baking sheet in the oven and allow the cinnamon roll cookies to bake for 10-12 minutes at 350° F. When the edges of your cookie are a soft golden brown remove them from the oven.
Using a spoon push the edges of your cookies back to the center, if they seemed to have spread too thin while baking. This will help give you nice chewy cookies!
Let your cookies cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack or enjoying while still warm!
👩🏻🍳 Make it Your Own
Make your Cinnamon Roll Cookies your own by adding your favorite chopped nuts to the filling before mixing it into the dough.
Drizzle with Frosting/Glaze
The only thing these cinnamon roll cookies might be missing is a sweet drizzle of homemade frosting or glaze. For the full cinnamon roll experience try adding a cream cheese frosting or glaze for extra gooey goodness!
💭 Top Tips
Cinnamon Roll Filling
Form your filling into to bite size, pebble like pieces before placing in the freezer and once frozen mix into the cookie dough before scooping into balls of dough and rolling in cinnamon-sugar.
Cinnamon Roll Cookies freeze great! To freeze, prepare the dough as instructed and instead of placing in the oven to bake, transfer the baking sheet to the freezer. Once each ball of dough is frozen transfer it to an airtight container. You can store the dough in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When ready to bake, pop each cookie dough ball on to a baking sheet. Keep in mind you may need to add a few minutes to your bake time since the dough will be frozen.
Can you freeze cookie dough?
If looking to freeze your cinnamon roll cookie dough prepare each cookie as instructed and instead of placing them in the oven to bake, transfer the cookie sheet to the freezer.
Once each cookie dough ball is frozen you can place the dough in an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to bake pop each cookie dough ball on to a baking sheet.
When ready to bake remove the dough from the freezer and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° F adding a few minutes to your final bake time since the dough will be frozen. When the edges are a soft golden brown remove the cookies from the oven and enjoy!
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3½ cups flour
- ⅛ teaspoon ground clove
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons cinnamon
- In a bowl add the softened butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Using a hand mixer combine the filling and place in the freezer to chill.
- In a second bowl use a hand mixer to whip the softened butter for your cookie dough.
- Add sugar to the bowl with butter and cream together using the hand mixer.
- Add egg and vanilla to the bowl. Use a hand mixer to incorporate all of the wet ingredients.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, clove and cream of tartar to the bowl of wet ingredients. Stir together the wet and dry ingredients until the dough has just come together and there are no more streaks of flour visible.
- In a third and smaller bowl combine the sugar and cinnamon for rolling each ball of dough in before baking.
- Using a cookie scoop measure out the dough for each cookie and roll the dough in the cinnamon-sugar coating placing each cooking on to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Remove the bowl of cinnamon roll filling form the freezer and break the filling into small chunks.
- Place a chunk of filling in the center of each cookie dough ball, pinching the edges of the cookie together to seal the filling inside. Press an additional 3 or 4 chunks of filling into the top of each cookie dough ball.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 10 - 12 minutes. When edges are a soft golden brown remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Using a spoon push the edges of the cookies back to the center. Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack or enjoy while warm.
Don't miss other helpful tips, recipe variations and storage information found in the full article above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 166Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 143mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information provided is an automatic calculation and can vary based on the exact products used and any changes made to the recipe. If these calculations are important to you, I recommend calculating them for yourself.